Finding an Outfitter
- Do you need an outfitter? Outfitters are a great resource when planning an adventure. To decide whether or not you want to work with an outfitter, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I have the necessary gear/equipment to do the activity?
- Do I know how to do this activity safely on my own?
- Do I need or want instruction on how to do this activity?
- Do I have any permits that may be required to adventure in this area?
- If you answered Yes to any of the questions above we highly recommend utilizing an outfitter for your activity. If you have decided to work with an outfitter, here are some of the things we recommend asking about and looking for:
- Credentials – Does this outfitter have any permits and certifications?
- Google reviews – What do other people say about the outfitter?
- Physical and mental Adaptive needs – Are they able to accommodate any specific accommodations you or your group may have?
- Cost – Do they charge a reasonable amount within your budget? How does their cost compare to other outfitters?
Check out FD’s list of vetted outfitters, or research outfitters in your area. Remember to ask them if gear, instruction, food, transportation, and lodging are included! It’s also worth asking about private vs group offerings, and what their cancellation/refund policy is.