The FD family is headed to the warm, blue waters of Sayulita, Mexico for a week of surfing, paddle boarding, zip lining, and snorkeling while aboard a yacht that will serve as your home base for the week. Cruise the sunny coastline of Puerto Vallarta for some of the best…
If your Mediterranean fantasies feature sunny days by sapphire waters in the shade of ancient walled towns, Croatia is the place to turn them into reality. Join First Descents on an epic adventure that offers a unique combination of all the things we love! Breathtaking natural beauty, adventure, sea kayaking…
The First Descents family is headed to the lush green hills and historic castles of Ireland for 10 days of adventure and community. Under the guidance of FD’s own alumni “Didi” and our fearless Senior Lead Staff “Paco”, this is sure to be a once in a lifetime adventure. Experience…
To sign up for an FDX, an FD alumni must:
- Have completed a FD1 Program
- Have an active Out Living It Project Page and fundraise or personally donated at least $500.
*For FDX programs open to caregivers, the same fundraising requirements apply
Once you are signed up for an FDX, an FD alumni:
- Is required to fundraise in order to participate. The FDX requirement must be met two weeks prior to the start of your FDX Adventure.
- Must provide an FDX fundraising agreement with a valid credit card. If you do not reach the fundraising requirement by the deadline, your credit card will be charged the difference.
- Is fully responsible for the full fundraising requirement, unless cancellation is due to cancer-related medical issues.
- Will cover the cost of travel to and from the program.
How to get signed up
Step 1 - Create an Out Living It Project fundraising page or join a team event, and start fundraising.
Step 2 - Complete an FDX inquiry to get your name on the list of interested participants for the current FDX season.
Step 3 - When the FDX season officially opens, First Descents will send an invitation to members of the FDX Inquiry list who have raised over $500 with program specific details and next steps to get signed up. See Requirements/Eligibility section for more details.
NOTE: First Descents will prioritize placement for FDX programs based on the following criteria:
- Has completed an FD1 weeklong program of any sport
- Has a current OLI Project fundraising page – must have a minimum of $500 raised or personally donated
- Timing and placement of when FD Alum reached out expressing interest and was added to the FDX Interested List
- Enrollment preference is given to FD Alum who have never been on an FDX experience before
- Once new FD Alum are accounted for, return or repeat FDX Alum will be added according to the above criteria
Meet the FDX fundraising requirement and pay it forward to support First Descents’ mission of providing life-changing outdoor adventures for young adults impacted by cancer.
- If you have already been on an FDX and want to go again, you must create a new/separate fundraising page.
-Enrollment preference is given to FD Alumni who have not been on an FDX experience before.
- If you have more than one fundraising page, keep it up! Just let us know when you sign up for an FDX program so that we can credit you with all of your fundraising.
-You are able to use Out Living It Project fundraising efforts for the current season that have been raised within the past two years. This is no longer applicable once you apply your OLIP fundraising efforts to an FDX program you've completed.
Step 1 – CREATE AN OUT LIVING IT PROJECT FUNDRAISING PAGE
- The fundraising deadline will be two weeks prior to the start date of the FDX program.
- All FDX participants will be given a fundraising requirement for the trip they have selected. Fundraising requirements will be determined by First Descents.
- If you are filling a late/cancellation spot, your program coordinator will be in touch with your fundraising deadline.
*NOTE: If the fundraising requirement is not reached by the deadline, you will be responsible for donating the difference in order to complete the fundraising requirement. You will provide a valid credit card as part of the registration process.
Step 2 – PUSH YOURSELF, GO ABOVE AND BEYOND THE FUNDRAISING REQUIREMENT AND BE A PART OF WHAT GROWS AND STRENGTHENS OUR COMMUNITY
There are many ways to fundraise - for ideas, inspiration, and questions about how to get started, visit the Out Living It Project Homepage or email our FD Development Coordinator - [email protected]
Have an idea for an international program?
For FD alum ambitious enough to dream of an FDX and make it happen, we want to challenge your imagination to find, fund, and help see YOUR dream FDX trip come to fruition.
ALUMNI DRIVEN FDX:
Want to take Out Living It to the next level? Then we encourage you to captain your own FDX adventure! FDX is what you make it, all options big or small, will be considered as long as they meet the requirements below.
Before we can start working on making your trip a reality, consider the following questions and requirements to pilot your FD alum-driven FDX:
1. You will be completely in charge of doing the bulk of legwork for the proposed FDX (85%). Once the following (below) is in place, the FD Programs Team will step in.
2. Is your proposed FDX a legitimate FD adventure that fulfills our mission and aligns with FD’s core values?
3. Is this program going to be cost positive for FD?
- All costs need to be considered (outfitter, lodging, food, travel, etc.)
- We will require a budget estimate before proceeding
4. Will there be realistic fundraising goals that can cover all of these costs?
5. Is the location and activity (or activities) reasonable, realistic and appropriate for an FDX?
6. Are qualified and trustworthy outfitter(s) available to support the adventure?
7. Can you provide a sample itinerary and travel logistics?
8. How many participants will the proposed FDX support (including 1 FD staff)?
9. Are there discount opportunities for FD (e.g., trip sponsors, in-kind donations)
Keep in mind that whatever trip you dream up, if approved, you are welcome to invite 1 co-captain. The remaining spots will be open to the entire alumni community on a first come, first serve basis.
After you consider these questions, email the FD Programs team ([email protected]) with your FDX adventure ideas, questions, and concerns. We will consider your proposal and let you know the next steps.
If the framework for your FDX is approved, the responsibility and execution will shift from the alum to HQ, and you will go on being the captain for the FDX you create.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will there be a spot for me on an FDX since I did my FD1 last year?
FDX spots are given to those who have shown initiative on fundraising and have already started the process. The simplest way to get to an FDX is to start fundraising!
2. Can my fundraising for a FIRST DESCENTS TEAM EVENT count towards an FDX?
If you would like to use a feature Out Living It Project or Team Event as your FDX fundraiser, you must satisfy the fundraising requirements specific to each event in addition to your FDX fundraising requirement.
Ex.) If you select a Ragnar Relay Race event that has a $500 fundraising minimum and have an FDX requirement of $2500, your fundraising goal becomes $3000. Anything raised above the $500 mark may count towards your FDX fundraising requirement. This is to ensure that we cover the costs of these coveted race entries and achieve our fundraising goals specific to each event.
3. How are FDX participants selected?
First Descents will prioritize placement for FDX adventures based on the following:
- Current OLI Project fundraising – must have a minimum of $500 raised
- Have completed a weeklong program of any sport – Whitewater Kayaking, Surfing, Rock Climbing or Ice Climbing
-Enrollment preference is given to FD alum who have never been on an FDX experience before
*For FDX programs open to caregivers, they will be held to the same fundraising requirements as alumni.
4. Does the money I raise ever expire?
You are able to use Out Living It Project fundraising efforts for the current program season that have been raised within the past two years. This is no longer applicable once you apply your OLIP fundraising efforts to an FDX program you've completed.
5. What about money I’ve raised prior to the current program season?
Any money you have raised through the Out Living It Project within the past two years may be applied towards one future FDX.
6. If I wanted to create my own FDX, does it have to be “extreme”?
No! FDX is what you make it. As long as a trip meets our Alumni Driven Guidelines, it can be as big or simple as you want. Have a lodge connection and want to go back to your weeklong program location? Go for it!
If you have any additional questions, please reach out to [email protected] or call us at the office (303) 945-2490 (hit 1 for programs).
FDX Cancellation Policy
- If you have officially signed up to attend an FDX program and have to cancel your spot for any reason not related to a cancer/serious health related issue, you will be responsible for a percentage of the fundraising requirement.
-If you drop out of your FDX program in the 4 months to 8 weeks prior to program start date, you will be responsible for 50% of the fundraising requirement, the remaining funds you have raised can be transferred to a future FDX.
-If you drop out of your FDX within 8 weeks of the program start date, you will be responsible for 100% of the fundraising requirement and cannot transfer the remaining funds you’ve raised towards a future FDX.
- If you have to cancel your enrollment in an FDX program due to cancer/serious health related issues, your fundraising will be forwarded to a future FDX (with the appropriate documentation)