We're hitting the Main Salmon River! Join us for an unforgettable 6-Day river trip through the heart of the Idaho wilderness with one of our favorite outfitters, Canyons River Company. The FDX Main Salmon trip will be a multi-craft whitewater experience including SUPs, Kayaks, and Rafts. Participants will choose their…
This summer, FD will be partnering with our friends at Campo Base to offer a multi-sport adventure that blends the therapeutic benefits of nature, sports, and cultural experiences. Join us on this incredible international adventure and get immersed in Italian culture. We will spend 10 days soaking up mountain vistas…
The First Descents family is headed to the lush green hills and historic castles of Ireland for 10 days of adventure and community. Under the guidance of FD’s own alumni “Didi” and our fearless Senior Lead Staff “Paco”, this is sure to be a once in a lifetime adventure. Experience…
The First Descents family is headed to the turquoise waters and lush green mountains of Patagonia for 10 days of adventure and community. We're teaming up with the incredible folks at Bio Bio Expeditions for an adrenaline filled program of whitewater rafting class V rapids along the unbelievable Futaleufu River.…
We’re heading back to Thailand for almost two weeks of Out Living It adventures! Experience rock climbing in Northern Thailand, caving and rappelling into pitch black darkness, and a two-day trek to the summit of Doi Luang. We will top off these incredible experiences with a home stay in the…
To sign up for an FDX, an FD alumni must:
• Have completed a FD1 Program
* For FDX programs open to caregivers, the same fundraising requirements apply
Once you are signed up for an FDX, an FD alumni:
• Is required to fundraise in order to participate. The FDX requirement must be met at the time of the program start date.
• Must submit an FDX fundraising agreement with a valid credit card. If you do not reach the fundraising requirement by the deadline, your credit card will be charged the difference.
• Is fully responsible for the full fundraising requirement, unless cancellation is due to cancer-related medical issues.
• Will cover the cost of travel to and from the program start and end point.
How to get signed up
Step 1 - Check out our current FDX offerings, and see if there is a program you are excited to get out on
Step 2 - During the open application window, submit an application for a program that you are interested in.
NOTE: Program inquiries will open approximately 7 months before a program start date. The inquiry window will close 6 months before the program, and individuals will be notified of availability. For programs that are not full, the inquiry will remain open until the program is full.
Step 3 - Start fundraising. You can jump start your fundraising for an FDX program by starting an Out Living It Project now. If you raise $500 towards your OLIP, you earn an OLIP Tee, as well as a $250 credit to use towards any FDX program minimum you are accepted on! Once you are selected for a program you will create a new fundraising page with all of the participants on the program. We will be there every step of the way for you to go above and beyond your program minimum, and pay it forward to other young adults impacted by cancer.
NOTE: First Descents will prioritize placement for FDX programs based on the following criteria:
• Has completed an FD1 weeklong program of any sport
• Enrollment preference is given to FD Alum who have never been on an FDX experience before
• Once new FD Alum are accounted for, return or repeat FDX Alum will be added according to the above criteria
FDX is your opportunity to use adventure to pay it forward and send more first-time participants to First Descents. We expect you to GO BIG with fundraising and we’ll be there to help you every step of the way...
If you’re ready to fundraise ASAP, kick things off by creating an Out Living It Project (firstdescents.org/out-living-it/) immediately. A portion of funds can be applied to your eventual FDX. However, we recommend you wait until you have been officially accepted into a specific FDX Campaign before going big on fundraising. This allows you to build your fundraising story around the extraordinary adventure that awaits you!
We love celebrating fundraising milestones while you crush it!
• Earn your official Out Living It Project tech-tee
• Earn a $250 credit towards your eventual FDX with no time restrictions
Reached your program fundraising minimum? Nice work! AND don’t Stop - Keep Fundraising! The more you raise the greater the impact!
• Earn a $50 gift certificate to the FD Store
Double your minimum!
• Sponsor two first-time FD participants!
• Sponsor a multi-day FD Program for 15 participants!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will there be a spot for me on an FDX since I did my Weeklong program last year? FDX Applications are reviewed after the application window has closed. Check out the specific application windows to make sure you get your in on time. We cannot guarantee anyone a spot on a program, but encourage everyone to submit an application!
2. Can my fundraising for a First Descents team event count towards an FDX? OLIP event fundraisers cannot be used towards an FDX fundraiser. For example, if you sign up to run the NYC marathon, you cannot use any additional funds raised towards an FDX program.
3. How are FDX participants selected? First Descents will prioritize placement for FDX adventures based on the following:
• Have completed a weeklong program of any sport – Whitewater Kayaking, Surfing, Rock Climbing or Ice Climbing
• Enrollment preference is given to FD alum who have never been on an FDX experience before
*For FDX programs open to caregivers, they will be held to the same fundraising requirements as alumni.
4. Does the money I raise ever expire?You can start fundraising for an FDX at any time, and earn a $250 credit towards any FDX program, by raising $500. If received, the $250 credit does not expire.
5. What about money I’ve raised prior to the current program season? Once received, the $250 credit towards an FDX does not expire.
• If you have officially signed up to attend an FDX program and have to cancel your spot for any reason not related to a cancer/serious health related issue, you will be responsible for a percentage of the fundraising requirement.
• If you drop out of your FDX program in the 4 months to 8 weeks prior to program start date, you will be responsible for 50% of the fundraising requirement, the remaining funds you have raised can be transferred to a future FDX.
• If you drop out of your FDX within 8 weeks of the program start date, you will be responsible for 100% of the fundraising requirement and cannot transfer the remaining funds you’ve raised towards a future FDX.
• If you have to cancel your enrollment in an FDX program due to cancer/serious health related issues, your fundraising will be forwarded to a future FDX (with the appropriate documentation)