If you have questions or concerns about attending a First Descents program, please reach out to our Programs Team .
There is no additional medical information needed for Caregivers.
MS Eligibility Criteria
At First Descents, we pride ourselves on being able to adapt to a wide range
different physical abilities and backgrounds. That being said, we also strive to
create the safest and most healing environment possible for our participants. The
following includes FD’s participant eligibility criteria for all MS programs. Before
proceeding with any portion of the application process, please ensure that you
meet the following criteria.
- In an effort to serve the young adult community, participants must have been diagnosed with MS between the ages of 15 to 39 and currently be between the ages of 18-45.
- Participants must be able to perform day to day functions, including traveling without the assistance of a caregiver.
- ADA compliant lodges to accommodate a group of our size is very difficult to find however, we strive to find MS-friendly lodging, including comfortable bathroom and sleeping arrangements as best as we can. Some of our lodges have stairs (with handrails), some bunk beds and shared bathrooms. Therefore participants must be able to walk up/down stairs and be comfortable sharing a bathroom and potentially sleeping in a bunk bed.
- Participants must be able to move independently from a seated position to a standing position.
- Participants must be able to swim, submerge their head, and hold their breath.
- Participants must be able to reach their arms over their head.
- Participants must be able to sit upright with their legs in front of them for an extended period of time for a couple hours at a time.
- Participants must be able to potentially walk 10-15 minutes over uneven terrain, including sand, rocks, and sloping hillside to reach water and rock access points.
- If a participant has a history of seizures, they must be medically cleared to drive and be stable for a year without an incident.
Start Planning Your Trip
We’re so glad you’ve taken your first steps to joining us on a trip! If you’re excited to learn more about the programs we offer, we have a lot of resources available for you.
View Eligible Programs
Thanks for joining First Descents! Now, let's get you Out Living It! Keep an eye out for a rad (and IMPORTANT) email heading your way soon. In the meantime, check out our Out Living It Guide to learn more about First Descents! Take a look and give us a call if you have any questions.
Please fill out all required fields.