Eating and sharing healthy meals has become a cornerstone of FD programs. Our goal is to educate and to inspire healthy eating to improve health outcomes. At programs, professionally trained chefs prepare healthy meals, focused on fresh nutrient dense whole foods so that everyone is nourished, energized and able to make the most of their program experience and beyond.
FD does not promote any singular “diet.” Our menus emphasize delicious and satisfying ways to get more plants to the center of the plate, including a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts, and seeds. We also include quality organic animal proteins as an option. A FD program is an opportunity to consume a nutrient-rich diet prepared by trained professionals and to observe how this affects their body.
FD is mindful that major dietary changes may cause adverse reactions for some. It can be unfamiliar and a drastic change from one’s normal routine. Please treat every meal as a challenge by choice and allow time to adjust.
Shared meals are an important part of the FD experience. Our chefs are passionate about providing healthy meals and offering nutrition education. We believe in the healing properties of food and the benefits that can be gained from sharing amazing meals. At programs, FD Chefs are open and available to communicate about your specific dietary needs or concerns while at your program and to answer questions about how you can recreate these meals at home.
● Breakfast: cold breakfast for early risers- fresh fruit, smoothies, whole grain breads & spreads, granola, good coffee and tea – hot breakfast before activities
● Lunch: usually packed and taken to the activity location – a full spread for making your own wraps and sandwiches including veggie and meat options, fresh fruit and snacks
● ‘Happy Hour’: healthy snacks before dinner
● Dinner: a full hot meal to be enjoyed all together
● Healthy hydration options
● MS Programs: follow a whole food and plant-based diet with options for quality animal protein.
● Menus are based on a whole foods approach to cooking, emphasizing plant-based meals with adequate options for quality animal protein
● Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, beans, peas, nuts and seeds
● Quality organic animal proteins
● Healthy sweet treats (it’s all about balance!)
● Locally sourced, seasonal and organic wherever possible
● Healthy cooking techniques
● Adequate calories for high levels of activity
● A passion and dedication to bringing health and nutrition education to young adults impacted by cancer, MS, and other serious health conditions
● Willingness to help educate about diet and lifestyle changes: ability to do this in an inviting, inspiring and nonjudgmental way
● Experience in preparing food for specialized diets to include vegetarian, vegan, as well as any allergies and dietary restrictions
● Open to communication about meeting dietary needs for the duration of the program and answering any questions about the foods we are preparing
● Amazing food made with lots of love in an open and inviting kitchen…feel free to chat with us while we work!