Traveling can be stressful, especially if it is your first time on an airplane. First Descents would like to help make your travel days to and from your FD program be as smooth as possible. Here are a few basic travel tips to a stress free start to your FD adventure. If you have any questions, please contact First Descents.
-Use the First Descents packing list you received as a guide for your adventure preparation.
-Checking a bag? Try to keep it under 50 lbs. to avoid extra fees
-Your carry on bag: (must fit in overhead bin or under seat in front of you. Check specific airline for requirements to also avoid fees.)
-Have extra change of clothes
-Any liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes you bring in your carry-on bag must all fit inside a quart sized Ziploc bag.
-Medications – its is a good idea to have your medications in your carry on. Check out this link to the TSA Travel Tips about traveling with medication
-Have the contact information for your FD Lead Staff saved in your cell phone – incase of any travel delays.
Airport Travel Day:
-Check In – with one of the following options using the itinerary confirmation number you received from the airline
– Online – 24 hrs.’ before your flight
– At the airport, airline kiosk
– At the airport, airline counter
-Be Early! Arrive to the airport 2 hrs.’ before your flight.
-Have your I.D./Passport
Driving to the Program
– Use the First Descents packing list you received as a guide for your adventure preparation.
– Make sure you have the address for the lodge – ask your program coordinator
– Use Google Maps to determine the best route
– Get Plenty of sleep the night before you drive
Driving Travel Day
– Snacks and water are a good idea to bring along
– Have the contact information for your FD Lead Staff and saved in your cell phone – incase of any travel delays